Monday, December 29, 2014

ice cold moonday



I drew from the light of the moon and the stars and the sun while stitching December's moondala -- #12 of my monthly dye & stitch ritual, named 13 moondalas. Each mandala is made with eco-dyed wool -- this one's black background is from a garden mint/iron water dye-bath but I don't remember the source of color for the beige moon. Anything having to do with plants needs to be written down, I really do know better.

It's been snowing on and off the past few days. I went outside to look for a glimpse of green but the only bit to be seen was in the strand of cloth chickens. After a minute or so, I decided to settle for the green inside the house instead. I'm loving this rhipsalis plant rooting in the bottle -- strange-looking, isn't it?

I just finished reading The Signature of All Things -- the plant descriptions, especially of moss, were fascinating and the characters eccentric, but hey aren't we all when you get down to it, so those parts I liked. I'm not quite sure what else to say about the book yet -- it's too soon -- it always grieves or maddens me when a good story ends before I'm ready. So that probably means a thumb's up.

Today is a waxing moonday in Aries. As the moon continues growing into fullness over this next week, we carry on, too -- developing and bringing things to fruition. I'm making lists and thinking about what my next full moon art ritual might be. Savoring this time.  

I wish you a happy week, wherever you are and however you welcome the New Year. It is ice cold here. xo




10 comments:

  1. love the looks of that plant. i used to have one many years ago but don't remember much about it. i've listened to Elizabeth Gilbert speak and read Eat, Pray, Love. haven't gotten into any of her other books. i have too many books on my reading list these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's clear and cold here this morning. When I let the dogs out (too early!) it was gorgeous. Your icy moon would fit right in that sky...

    I started to read The Signature of All Things and realized I wouldn't finish before it was due back. Was intrigued enough that I'll find a copy at the used bookstore.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved following this years full moon ritual. Loved all your moondalas, they al were wonderful.
    Looking forward to hearing next years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really enjoyed Signature of all Things. For all the same reasons you did. Very intriguing characters. Your Moondala is beautiful. I'm especially drawn to the bit of green in the center.
    Enjoy your snow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This ice cold moondala is beautiful, I'm looking forward too to seeing what you do next.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an exquisite little moon! It's early in the morning of New Years eve and I'm just pooping in to offer this bit of traditional --In Scotland, New Year's Eve marks the first day of Hogmanay, a name derived from an Old French word for a gift given at the New Year. There's a tradition at Hogmanay known as "first-footing": If the first person to cross your threshold after midnight is a dark-haired man, you will have good luck in the coming year. Other customs vary by region within Scotland, but most involve singing and whiskey! So, aung by Dougie MacLean - "Auld Lang Syne" written by Robert Burns in 1788 and set to the tune of a traditional folk song. It's traditional use being to celebrate the start of the New Year at the stroke of midnight. http://youtu.be/PER8f7bQIlg

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha---too many o's not Poop but pop! Gave me a good guffaw.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your moodala is stunning, perfect for the winter time. & that plant makes me think of some magnified micro-organism. I hope you are keeping cosy in this new year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been pouring over your blog for almost 2 hours! I discovered it because I'm researching denim mending and boro and sashiko, but there is so much inspiration here - thank you!!

    I've now seen 3 photos of your December Moon Mandala, which I love, but I'm frustrated that there are no close-up views of it, especially as I can't identify the spot of green in the middle and I'm very curious about it. If you ever get a chance, do you think you could crop and blow up one of the original (hopefully high-res) shots, or take a new photo? I love the styling of your photos, and I really liked how the square was placed on the white furry background, but I want to see each beautiful stitch. :)

    I have pinned many of your photos to my Pinterest boards. I've had trouble deciding where to put some them, on Denim and Mending or Embroidery or Cloth and Fibers and Fabric or Inspiration.... so I've scattered them around. I like Pinterest but I haven't figured out if it is better to have small, specialized boards or large, general repositories. I need to change the names of some of the pages as they have evolved (the names above are paraphrased). I don't have a blog... maybe someday. Thank you again! Your mended jeans are my favorite out of hundreds of photos I've looked through. ~Peace be with you~

    ReplyDelete
  10. oSoFine, welcome -- nice to meet you! Thank you for coming by -- the December mandala has a green sequin in the center with metallic gold threads tacking it into place and encircling it. If you click on the photo, it should enlarge a bit but sometimes that doesn't work...actually I'll enlarge it and include it in the post. It'll be the second-to-the-last photo.

    I am always working on a system for my Pinterest boards as well -- they have no rhyme or reason most of the time.

    I have so many things that need mending including the quilt on my bed. I'm thinking I could stitch on it early in the morning....we'll see. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete