Monday, July 21, 2014

moonday harvest


The moon on July's moondala is from a flower bouquet dye-bundle -- and the background is dandelion-dyed wool. I seem to be influenced by the calendar colors again, this has happened a few times before.

The dark-centered yellow flowers are dyer's coreopsis, Coreopsis tinctoria -- they're about 3' tall and ready to go to town as you can see. Hoping they self-seed, would love them to go wild.

Today is a waning crescent moonday in Gemini. In true Gemini style, many things are happening very fast -- there's so much going on in the world that I don't understand, I have no words. But here in this place where I live, I turn to the garden with these early harvests and to the dye-pot with its own special harvest, that of color. I feel myself finally sinking into summer and notice how the garden grows on its own with very little help from me. I basically water and weed and watch.  The garden reminds me that if any of my own plans or intentions haven't taken root to grow and thrive, they aren't likely to come to fruition either. Now is a good time for that kind of assessment. I pretty much know when a plant isn't going to make it or when I'm going against the grain on something but sometimes it takes a while to give up. To "give up" can actually be a good thing -- it's putting stuff into the cosmic mix to be changed, like composting.

And we all know the magic of good compost. xx




5 comments:

  1. How the summer summers on with out our help! The garden I abandoned at the church is all in flower where it was not destroyed and it still makes me happy just to see it. There's so much coreopsis but not the Dyers kind. It flops on the ground and I may trim some in the night this week since soon I'll have a few bundles to submerge. The waning moon catches me in a nostalgic mood every time...but how good to know when to let go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How the summer summers on with out our help! The garden I abandoned at the church is all in flower where it was not destroyed and it still makes me happy just to see it. There's so much coreopsis but not the Dyers kind. It flops on the ground and I may trim some in the night this week since soon I'll have a few bundles to submerge. The waning moon catches me in a nostalgic mood every time...but how good to know when to let go Peggy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another wonderful moon block. Your gardens and berries look luscious. I also loved your last post on fever few, the flowers are so cute, I need to plant some next Spring. The fabric turned out beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have found so much freedom 'giving up' in the garden. Looking at something not thrive for a few seasons is just demoralizing.

    But what I really want to say is how I love the colors here and all the circles and arcs of circles and berries and flowers... you really have captured summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another lovely moondala growing. I love the pic of your garden...it looks so peaceful there. Giving up = composting! What a great thought. Always so good to come here to refresh and contemplate.

    ReplyDelete