Friday, May 31, 2013

out of the dye-pot: a new blouse


Today was the day. The oak-leaf/lightning water dye-pot has been brewing out in the garden since last fall. My very disappointing eucalyptus-dyed cotton blouse was re-bundled (with red onion skins) a few months ago and has been infusing in the pot ever since. Oak leaves and onion skins and maybe lightning water, too, are pure magic. I love this outcome. 

There's definitely still life left in the dye-bath so it'll stay awhile. Now I need to find another big pot to brew up some of the bindweed I'm harvesting. I may not be able to grow certain plants, but I do seem to have a knack for bindweed. It's a good thing bindweed makes such a wonderful dye-bath, see it here and here.

I miss sewing and knitting, always do this time of year when there is so much going on outside. This piece surfaced -- or maybe I just noticed it for the first time in a long while -- so I made about 10 French knots and feel much better now. 

The sweet woodruff is in bloom -- exactly one month late. More proof of our funky Spring and that snowstorm on May Day when I should've been making May Wine with sweet woodruff blossoms.

Thanks for coming by! My weekend wish for all of us is that we make time to do what we love. xo

                    



7 comments:

  1. oh....i love how the blouse turned out. there's always hope with re-dyeing. love the embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deanna, your dyed blouse and also your advice helped make this outcome! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great results! I love the reflections in the dye bath :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH is that ever gorgeous!
    & I have a very old crush on french knots, each time it works it feels like a bit of magic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Nancy! Couldn't resist showing that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindy, thank you -- yes, they're a good sewing "fix." ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blouse turned out wonderful, love all the different prints and colors. Also your full moon block is perfect for May with the flower print moon.

    ReplyDelete