Tuesday, August 9, 2011

a knitted neckerchief

Just a  few tips on how to have a surprise outcome on a knitting project:

Don't follow directions; use the wrong yarn and then run out; buy discontinued labels; buy different color lots; don't make gauge swatches; oh, and your knitting teacher could pass away before you finish the design-as-you-go sweater that only she knew what to do next. Also, don't measure, and make stuff too big -- or -- be too afraid to measure, and make stuff too small.


I bought and knitted up about half as much yarn as the shawl needed, I realized after reading the directions better. The result is a funky neckerchief that needs a single button. I love the yellow but it's too big to go through the other side . . . so yellow, it'll probably be, by hook or by crook . . . grrrrr.

I really do love a good surprise!

8 comments:

  1. Our knitting styles are similar. It is always a surprise when I am finished, but heaven forbid I follow the rules. Wishing you a beautiful day with no dropped stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. doesn't everyone knit that way...
    i love the way all 3 buttons look together. maybe you could just stitch the other 2 on and have just one go through the buttonhole. it will sure be an attention getter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeannie, oh good! I hear you, heaven forbid we do that! Ha. The next thing I'm making is a knitted box, hopefully I can pull it off....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deanna, well I'm glad to hear you say that! I really like your idea to keep all three buttons and am going upstairs right now to take another look-see!! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Directions? What are those? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh-ha! i have these stories too. i like all three too, and was sorry to read there would only be one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deb, the thing is I usually TRY! Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cindy, yes, now I think it would look funny with just one!

    ReplyDelete