Tuesday, January 11, 2011

rumi cloth

I wanted Rumi cloth.
So after ironing unbleached muslin onto freezer paper to stabilize it a bit and
getting out the newest, thinnest, non-bleeding sharpie pen, I wrote Some Kiss We Want 
over and over. Pretty much have it memorized now.

Wrote at night by candlelight -- I highly recommend this practice.

Wrote during the day with Ms. Pelargonium blooming herself wide open
right over the cloth, that's got to be auspicious.

Separated the cloth from the freezer paper.

rumi cloth! So many possibilities . . .

Have something in mind for this . . . but I think I'll won't tear anymore until I'm sure.

Some Kiss We Want

There is some kiss we want with
our whole lives, the touch of

spirit on the body. Seawater
begs the pearl to break its shell.

And the lily, how passionately
it needs some wild darling! At

night, I open the window and ask
the moon to come and press its

face against mine. Breathe into
me. Close the language-door and

open the love-window. The moon
won't use the door, only the window.

Rumi
Translation by Coleman Barks

14 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post, thank you so much for sharing the process...I am so inspired by your idea here!
    And Rumi ~ sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweetpea, I know. Rumi -- sigh here too! Thanks for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhhhhhh, love it, meee tooo like Sweetpea, I'm sooo inspired by your idea !!!! can I, can I, dare I ask ?? use your idea for my next woven background ??? I'll have to go find my own verse, text, etc. but, but, I just love this : )
    And, to answer about posting my red cabbage dyeing processs, I do not have my own blog, I just love leaving positive energy comments. But I will share via e-mail when it's alll done : ) I can even send pic's if you'd like?? thanks for asking : )
    You are the best - have a wonderful light filled day !!!!
    Blessings, Sandra-MountainWoman in AZ : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandra, thanks -- of course, use the idea -- that's why I put it up! Yes, share the dying results via em-mail. I'd love to see them.
    Light your way, too . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandra-MountainWoman, share your woven rumi cloth, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhhh, you are the best !!! will send when I have "something" : )
    Blessings, Sandra-MountainWoman : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Rumi. This is beautiful, and you're writing is so straight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Leslie -- it was just luck, I think, that it looks pretty straight . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. O I love this cloth and I love your process...by candlelight. Thank you for sharing. It is such a beautiful way to give spirit to your cloth.

    Jacky xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Jacky. I'm about ready to start on another one -- but slightly different.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is really a great idea. I have just learned that I need to do some kind of ritual to clear out or do a kind of formal closure on something important in my life and this just might be the thing. I have done lots of drawing on cloth and some writing but .. love the idea of tearing up scraps with writing. DOn't you just LOVE freezer paper??? I love to use it for so many things. IT also makes a great resist for bleaching. If you cut out the shapes you want first or create a mask you can iron it onto the cloth and the spray with bleach.. it's a great method for perfect edges or circles. I use it for a lot of different things!!! Your Rumi cloth in sew is just beautiful .. love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tammy, thanks! You know I hadn't really thought that much about freezer paper, but you're right -- what grabbed me is your mention of "perfect edges or circles" -- yes, it will make things sooo much easier! Oh, thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this was a year ago, sent its tendrils through last winter to this one, now, I wanted to read it again. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Manya! It's hard to believe it's been a year...still have quite a bit of this left. I'm glad you came by!

    ReplyDelete